Mount Gravatt TAFE upgrades putting skills back in fashion
Dressing for the job you want has extra meaning for TAFE Queensland students at the Fashion Centre of Excellence based at Mount Gravatt.
Minister for Training and Skills Development Shannon Fentiman said stage two of $5.1 million construction to upgrade to create purpose-built fashion studios is on track to be completed in September this year.
“We have a plan for Queensland, our plan is to invest in skills and jobs,” Ms Fentiman said.
“The new Fashion Centre of Excellence is providing local students with world class training facilities to set them up for a bright future in fashion design.
“With more than 6,000 fashion, industrial and jewellery designers in Queensland, growing our fashion industry is crucial to the state’s economy and job creation.”
Member for Mansfield Corrine McMillan said additional campus improvements include upgrading of the cafeteria, new signage, improved lighting for pedestrian thoroughfares and main car park and the relocation of campus security and installation of CCTV.
“The students here today and those who will come in the years ahead will gain the skills to launch successful careers, build their own labels and start their own businesses,” Ms McMillan said.
“Our $19 million investment in the Mt Gravatt campus would cater for students now and also for the future of our growing region.
Member for Greenslopes Joe Kelly said stage two of construction provided around 16 construction jobs including opportunities for apprentices.
“We are providing opportunities for Queenslanders to gain the skills they need to walk into a job and lead a successful career,” Mr Kelly said.
“Stage three of construction to upgrade horticulture and screen media facilities will begin in July.”
The Palaszczuk Government has doubled investment in TAFE campuses to more than $105 million for this financial year.
Other major projects include:
- Heavy Plant Centre of Excellence and the caravan training facility at the Acacia Ridge campus
- New trade training building and student hub at Ashmore campus
- Upgrades to metal manufacturing facilities at Bundamba campus
- Upgrades to health and trades training at Alexandra Hills campus
- Fashion Centre of Excellence, horticulture and screen media upgrades at Mt Gravatt campus
- Extension and redevelopment of hospitality, health and beauty training at Pimlico campus in Townsville
- Modernisation of outdoor amphitheatre and general learning area at Thursday Island campus
New hospitality and beauty training precinct, upgrades for trades training and performing arts facilities at Cairns campus
- Upgrades to the electrotechnology facility at Eagle Farm campus recently completed.
- Upgrades to nursing facilities at Redcliffe campus recently completed
- Stage 2 upgrades to nursing facilities at Caboolture campus recently completed
- Rural Centre of Excellence and upgrades to health training at Toowoomba campus recently completed
For further information visit www.desbt.qld.gov.au/training/docs-data/strategies/tafe-infrastructure-plans or call 1300 369 935.